Posts

Showing posts from January, 2014

Sabi nga ni Pauline Kael I lost it at the movies

Image
Her

I like “Her” a lot because I could relate to it. On the surface it’s about a man who falls in love with an OS. Yes, it’s a ridiculous premise and it’s not entirely new. The story of a man falling in love with an artificial intelligence has been done before but --- and it’s a big but --- “Her” clearly shows that Spike Jonez invested a lot of emotions and thought to this one. First off, there are similarities between the realities of Theodore, a lonely letter writer, and Samantha, the highly sophisticated operating system. Both of them serves as a conduit: Theodore writes intimate letters for people while Samantha acts like a real human assistant. But the similarity ends there because the irony clearly is while Theodore is supposedly the one who has the ability to grow and mature as a person, through the course of the movie, it’s Samantha who does. And the relationship that builds between the two mirrors the relationship that Theodore had with his ex-wife. And between Theodore and S…

Sukatan

"Mahal kita," sabi ng isang lalaki.
"Hindi pa ako handang magmahal ng buong buo," sabi ng isa.
"Ako handa na. Bakit hayaan mo na lang akong magpuno ng natitira? Kung 30% lang ang mabibigay mo, sa akin na lang yung remaining 70%."
"Unfair. Lugi ka. Hindi mo alam ang pinapasukan mo."
"Okey lang. Higit naman sa 70% ang mabibigay ko. Lubos lubos pa."
"Naiisip mo ba kung ano ang katumbas ng 30%?"
"Text lang sa umaga at isang text sa gabi? Dalawa o tatlong date lang sa isang buwan?"
"Baka hindi ko masuklian ang pagmamahal na binibigay mo. Patingi-tingi lang."
"Sanay naman ako sa barya barya lang."