Get crazy with the CheezeWhiz

Because I can’t seem to wrap my brain around the article I’m currently writing (about a cute artist whose work I’m actually interested in), I started downloading songs from the ‘90s. Beck. Crash Test Dummies. Stone Temple Pilots. Barenaked Ladies. Tori Amos. Sleeps With Butterflies actually sends me back to a time when Manila was wet and cold and I’m in love and filled with longing.

But yes, yes, I know what about REM, Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam? They have been on rotation ever since I started bringing a walkman around that they no longer evoke nostalgia and I’m all about nostalgia tonight. I realized that if it’s still the 90s I’d fit right in because the 90s was all about angst and alienation. Part of the pleasure of buying cassettes and CDs then was reading the sleeves and basking in the coolness of my favorite bands. I even treated the lyrics as poetry, something to decipher and relish. I’d lose sleep trying to figure out what the fuck does Beck mean when he sings:

“You can’t write if you can’t relate/ Trade the cash for the beef for the body for the hate/ And my time is a piece of wax fallin’ on a termite/ who's chokin’ on the splinters.”

I mean what does he mean by that?

“Soy un perdedor
I’m a loser baby, so why don’t you kill me?”

When I was a kid my twin brother and I would hang-out with our much older pamangkin (who turned out to be our older brother --- long story). He was into RCs (wow, sobrang 80s di ba?), skateboard and music. The RC and skateboard, we could dig but rock music? But one day, he told us, we would finally dig it and his words, to me at least, sounded prophetic. True enough, around the time when the Eraserheads released their first song, the one where Ely curses, I was finally hooked.

Comments

Blakrabit said…
Eraserheads will always be the greatest rock band in OPM history!
Kane said…
I suddenly remembered Sleeps With Butterflies.

And played it just now. I really love music too, and I also like thinking about the lyrics.

Brings you to so many places, music does.

Kane
bwisit! said…
@blakrabit i agree. the mere fact na pinili ng NU ang Huling El Bimbo bilang huling song bago sila mag-sign off is already an indication of how influential the band was...

@kane love love love sleeps with butterflies. perfect kapag nagiisip ng dating object of one's affection hehehehe

Popular posts from this blog

sop tips (o kung papaano huwag matakot makipagtalik sa telepono)

para sa masa <em>(or why the eraserheads, even if they are still together, can't possibly sing "toyang" over and over again)</em>

FEAR AND LOATHING IN SAGADA